Re: [pcre-dev] Problem with "any" newline (and other 7.1 iss…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: pcre-dev
Assumpte: Re: [pcre-dev] Problem with "any" newline (and other 7.1 issues)
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Sheri wrote:

> It never occurred to me that the "-0" might become "-7.1". That really
> would be awful on Windows. For new releases, it would never be possible
> to independently update the shared libraries.

What tends to happen on Unix is that aliases (symbolic links) are used
to point to the current release.

> Posix just adds four names to the library (which depend on their "real"
> counterparts to work): regcomp, regerror, regexec, and regfree.

Not only the names, the code to implement them. In a shared library, the
increase in size probably doesn't make any different. But it would in a
non-shared library, wouldn't it? In fact, it's not much for the posix
functions, but the C++ functions are much larger.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.