Re: [pcre-dev] Problem with "any" newline (and other 7.1 iss…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Bob Rossi
CC: pcre-dev
Assumpte: Re: [pcre-dev] Problem with "any" newline (and other 7.1 issues)
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Bob Rossi wrote:

> I think it's clear that no one on this list is a windows expert. I'm
> going to take some time to consult the libtool guys to determine what
> they recommend for installing dll's on windows. I believe the unix world
> is fairly straigtforward.

That sounds like a good plan.

> Philip, in general, you only change the shared library version number
> when you have an incompatible change. That is, even though pcre is at
> 7.1, what version do you create the shared library with on unix? Do you
> even think about this type of thing?

Not much!

My understanding (for Unix) is that the number is only supposed to
change when there is a change of API. You don't change it when you
upgrade the library without changing the API precisely so that
applications that use it autormatically get the upgraded version. If the
API changes, the number must change so that two different versions of
the shared library can coexist.

There was one change of API in the early days of PCRE; that is why the
libpcre_version is 0:1:0 while the other libraries are 0:0:0.

The current versions installed on my Gentoo box are

/usr/lib/libpcre.so.0.0.1
/usr/lib/libpcrecpp.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libpcreposix.so.0.0.0

Hmm. I see from the article in

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-shlibs.html

that perhaps the minor number should change for bug fixes. However, I
suspect that few programs are actually compiled for specific versions at
the minor level.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.