Re: [pcre-dev] Problem with "any" newline (and other 7.1 iss…

Autor: Bob Rossi
A: pcre-dev
Assumpte: Re: [pcre-dev] Problem with "any" newline (and other 7.1 issues)
On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 11:02:01AM -0400, Sheri wrote:
> Bob Rossi wrote:

> >> Alan was indeed able to link to the two libraries in question, and they
> >> can both be parallel to our exe (which is not on the path). He points
> >> out that our plugin is also looking for the other style lib names, a
> >> potential hazard for the end-user. If given a choice he would prefer to
> >> keep to a combined pcre.dll.
> >>

> > I do think that the names,
> >
> > $ ls ~/download/pcre/pcre-7.1-RC4/prefix-shared/bin/
> > libpcre-0.dll  libpcrecpp-0.dll  libpcreposix-0.dll  pcre-config
> > pcregrep.exe  pcretest.exe

> > should change before we release. Either we should do this the unix way,
> > where we actually have 0 be 7.1, or we should do it the windows way,
> > libpcre.dll, and get the extra dll support working for version numbers.
> >
> > What does everyone else think? I know we've been through a lot of pain
> > over this, but releasing a version of pcre that acts one way, and
> > another version of pcre that acts another way could be very difficult on
> > all the end users.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob Rossi
> >

> It never occurred to me that the "-0" might become "-7.1". That really
> would be awful on Windows. For new releases, it would never be possible
> to independently update the shared libraries.
>
> Bob, I posted a zip of the coff resources a few days ago, did you see it?

I haven't had time yet, but I will.

I think it's clear that no one on this list is a windows expert. I'm
going to take some time to consult the libtool guys to determine what
they recommend for installing dll's on windows. I believe the unix world
is fairly straigtforward.

Philip, in general, you only change the shared library version number
when you have an incompatible change. That is, even though pcre is at
7.1, what version do you create the shared library with on unix? Do you
even think about this type of thing?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi