Re: [pcre-dev] Problem with "any" newline (and other 7.1 iss…

Autor: Bob Rossi
A: pcre-dev
Assumpte: Re: [pcre-dev] Problem with "any" newline (and other 7.1 issues)
On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 01:51:50AM -0400, Sheri wrote:
> Sheri wrote:
> >
> > I have not had a reply from Alan about using the 2 libraries files in
> > our environment.
> >
> Alan was indeed able to link to the two libraries in question, and they
> can both be parallel to our exe (which is not on the path). He points
> out that our plugin is also looking for the other style lib names, a
> potential hazard for the end-user. If given a choice he would prefer to
> keep to a combined pcre.dll.

I do think that the names,

$ ls ~/download/pcre/pcre-7.1-RC4/prefix-shared/bin/
libpcre-0.dll  libpcrecpp-0.dll  libpcreposix-0.dll  pcre-config
pcregrep.exe  pcretest.exe

should change before we release. Either we should do this the unix way,
where we actually have 0 be 7.1, or we should do it the windows way,
libpcre.dll, and get the extra dll support working for version numbers.

What does everyone else think? I know we've been through a lot of pain
over this, but releasing a version of pcre that acts one way, and
another version of pcre that acts another way could be very difficult on
all the end users.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi