Re: [exim] Delivery to domains without MX records - Advice n…

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Delivery to domains without MX records - Advice needed
Jason_Meers wrote:
*snip*

> That is another possibility, however in my initial investigation about
> this lead me to believe that providing instructions for building an
> authorative name server for Exim to use is going to be harder to
> document for all of the platforms that Exim is capable of running on,
> and take up more space in the tutorial than the Exim tutorial itself
> will be.

That part you should probably *not* do (document a resolver).

It is one thing to build such an animal to test your Exim setup and insure the
instructions you are writing are correct.

But - given that what you are attempting is aimed at 'entry level', it could
lead the reader into more grief than it avoids.

Better, IMNSHO, to confirm your instructions, present the step-by-step results
as a (thorouhly tested) guide, but NOT duplicate the test rig itself.

w/r Magnus points on the IP NAT'ing - many, if not most ADSL/cable router/NAT
boxen will accept and route any hard-coded addresses that 'pop up' in their
internal IP block just as well as those for which they have issued a DHCP lease.

That *can* very easily result in NAT'ing your test rig to the external IP thence
to the world at large.

'Here there be Dragons'

Bill