Re: [exim] Delivery to domains without MX records - Advice n…

Autor: Magnus Holmgren
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Delivery to domains without MX records - Advice needed
On Saturday 07 April 2007 20:37, Jason_Meers wrote:
> However external-domain-one.example and external-domain-two.example are
> to be delivered by a dnslookup router. Now that I am using the
> 192.0.2.0/24 range I can no longer use dnslookup to route messages as
> the Exim servers in the examples can no longer contact any DNS servers
> (Yes I understand the irony of creating an isolated network then being
> surprised that I can no longer query DNS servers).
>
> RFC 3330 says:
>     192.0.2.0/24 - This block is assigned as "TEST-NET" for use in
>     documentation and example code.  It is often used in conjunction with
>     domain names example.com or example.net in vendor and protocol
>     documentation.  Addresses within this block should not appear on the
>     public Internet.

> I Would like to keep the 192.0.2.0/24 addresses but I would also like to
> be able to have a dnslookup router for showing how dnslookup deliveries
> work.

Can't you assume that there is a NAT (*shiver*) router between the example
network and the public Internet? Or a DNS and SMTP relay? What prevents the
server from querying name servers that are *also* on 192.0.2.0/24? Why does
your fictional network need to talk to the real world at all? Can't you place
all of the domains involved in 192.0.2.0/24?

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)