Re: [exim] Adding disclaimer with exim-4

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Joel Merrick, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Adding disclaimer with exim-4

--On 7 February 2007 09:34:44 +0000 Joel Merrick <J.Merrick@???>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We currently have an ACL condition that warns if any mail is being sent
> outside of the university without a disclaimer. If the mail is sent
> without a disclaimer, a header will be added with the relevant
> information, the original mail sent and a mail sent back to the
> originating user to let them know to add a disclaimer
>
> Adding the disclaimer automatically (at least here in the UK) is a little
> bit of a legal grey area from what I understand, as the user themselves
> has not added the text.

Adding a standard disclaimer to every email is a (well, lets tone it down a
bit and just say) poor idea.

For example, one of our User Services people got a plea for help from
another UK academic institution. She forwarded it to me, because it was a
technical problem with their email. Unfortunately, it carried a disclaimer
forbidding me from reading the email (presumably including the disclaimer)
or doing anything with the email apart from notifying the sender.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex