Re: [exim] Adding disclaimer with exim-4

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Jens Strohschnitter
CC: EXIM Official Maillist
Subject: Re: [exim] Adding disclaimer with exim-4

On 7 Feb 2007, at 08:13, Jens Strohschnitter wrote:
> I need to add disclaimer to any outgoing mail. I've found all the
> discussions about that thema, but in germany we have to add a
> disclaimer to any mail since 01.01.2007 :-(

That is presumably the DE version of the UK legislation about having
corporate identity information on all emails. [I have not noticed this
having much effect in the UK as yet, which is interesting....]

I have previously been told, by some DE based folks (pretty sure it was
folks working for SUSE), that their legal advice was that it was
strictly illegal to modify an email in transit, so adding disclaimers at
the MTA would definitely not be allowed. [Whether checking whether the
appropriate wordage was there, and refusing the mail if not was not
discussed]. I see the FAQ entry says this is also the case for NL.

Has anyone got any current legal advice on this?

Would modifying the email in transit change the liability aspects - ie
since the email was partly written by the (company owned) mail system,
is the company now explicitly liable for any content of email messages?

     Nigel.