Re: [exim] More integer annoyances in 4.65

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] More integer annoyances in 4.65
Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> Quoting Dean Brooks:

>> 1.  The variable $spam_score_int defaults to a blank value.  Therefore,
>>         ${if >{$spam_score_int}{50}}

[...]
> The fix for your config would be:
> ${if >{${spam_score_int}0}{500}}

Wow, that's immensely ugly and runs contrary to every content scanning
tutorial out there, including the examples in the Exim manual.

Dean, is your config unusual in any way or, at a glance, are many people
likely to hit the case of having an undefined $spam_score_int in the
same way you have?

While Exim is very flexible (Turing-complete IIRC?), it's not supposed
to be a programming language per se, so I think the old ("buggy")
behaviour of implicitly equating null/undefined and zero was helpful in
the context of writing readable configs. I think conditionals are
complicated enough to beginners without having to explain the above
abomination...Philip?

Tim