Re: [exim] how to drop failed DSN?

Author: Chad Leigh
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] how to drop failed DSN?

On Dec 23, 2006, at 1:10 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 03:48 -0700, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>> A certain number of messages are being accepted for delivery and then
>> fail delivery. (I am working to cut this down).
>
> You seem to be aware already that this is your real problem. Why only
> "cut this down" and not eliminate it entirely for the common case?
> Under
> what circumstances does your system accept a mail and then later
> bounce
> it?

I believe they are ones for which I am a backup MX host so I accept
them and try to relay them on.

I have to trace some through to double check but that is what my
initial reports lead to.

>> exim sends out a
>> DSN/bounce messages with the <> null sender and these cannot be
>> delivered. They build up in the queue until they eventually get
>> purged out .
>>
>> I would like to just drop these failed ones trying to go out with a
>> <>. I have been RTFMing but don't know what terms to look up.
>
> If you were to use sender verification callouts, it would be rare for
> you to end up with a bounce message which cannot be delivered.

I have sender verification callouts and they are working (I see lots
of reports where they fail in the logs). Again, I will have to trace
things through the logs for some of the original sending addresses
for bounces in the queue to see what is up.

Thanks
Chad

> --
> dwmw2