Re: [exim] how to drop failed DSN?

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Chad Leigh
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] how to drop failed DSN?
On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 03:48 -0700, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> A certain number of messages are being accepted for delivery and then
> fail delivery. (I am working to cut this down).

You seem to be aware already that this is your real problem. Why only
"cut this down" and not eliminate it entirely for the common case? Under
what circumstances does your system accept a mail and then later bounce
it?

> exim sends out a
> DSN/bounce messages with the <> null sender and these cannot be
> delivered. They build up in the queue until they eventually get
> purged out .
>
> I would like to just drop these failed ones trying to go out with a
> <>. I have been RTFMing but don't know what terms to look up.

If you were to use sender verification callouts, it would be rare for
you to end up with a bounce message which cannot be delivered.

--
dwmw2