Re: [exim] how to drop failed DSN?

Author: Chad Leigh
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] how to drop failed DSN?

On Dec 22, 2006, at 5:33 AM, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>
>> ignore_bounce_errors_after = 0s
>> timeout_frozen_after = 5d
>>
>> is 0s not valid for ignore_bounce_errors_after ?
>
> It should work. If it doesn't, something is wrong.

(written as stream-of-conscience as I investigate)

Ok, that is what I thought. I changed it to 1h as a test but things
still seem to not be working. Probably because the following is not
a permanent failure?

2006-12-22 03:17:32 1GxgfO-000JJz-Fi netnews.hinet.net
[168.95.195.16]: Connection reset by peer

(This is just one example I looked up in the logs from a whole ton of
these sitting in my queue)

9h  4.9K 1GxgfO-000JJz-Fi <>
           fjphvjlrbsm@???

A lot of them seem to be to hinet.net but also many other "hosts"

Here is another repeating log entry -- someone sending a 451
2006-12-22 02:42:21 1GxgdX-000Ihz-0S SMTP error from remote mail
server after end of data: host grass.kahalacorp.com [64.140.163.121]:
451 Unable to queue message ()

9h  4.5K 1GxgdX-000Ihz-0S <>
           ppqcqbakwqc@???

Seems to be ones that just keep rejecting with 4xx errors all the time.

Anyway to automatically detect that and get rid if these anyway :-) ?

Thanks
Chad

> +------------------------------------------------------------+
> |ignore_bounce_errors_after|Use: main|Type: time|Default: 10w|
> +------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> This option affects the processing of bounce messages that cannot
> be delivered,
> that is, those that suffer a permanent delivery failure. (Bounce
> messages that
> suffer temporary delivery failures are of course retried in the
> usual way.)
>
> After a permanent delivery failure, bounce messages are frozen,
> because there
> is no sender to whom they can be returned. When a frozen bounce
> message has
> been on the queue for more than the given time, it is unfrozen at
> the next
> queue run, and a further delivery is attempted. If delivery fails
> again, the
> bounce message is discarded. This makes it possible to keep failed
> bounce
> messages around for a shorter time than the normal maximum retry
> time for
> frozen messages. For example,
>
> ignore_bounce_errors_after = 12h
>
> retries failed bounce message deliveries after 12 hours, discarding
> any further
> failures. If the value of this option is set to a zero time period,
> bounce
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> failures are discarded immediately. Setting a very long time (as in
> the default
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> value) has the effect of disabling this option. For ways of
> automatically
> dealing with other kinds of frozen message, see auto_thaw and
> timeout_frozen_after.
>

> --
> Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service
> Get the Exim 4 book:    http://www.uit.co.uk/exim-book

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider