Re: [exim] starting exim4 automatically

Author: Jason Meers
To: Wes Carver
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] starting exim4 automatically
Wes Carver wrote:
> So I got the order in which I read the web pages and docs and man
> pages mixed up...so what?
>
> Holy crap, Marc...What do you want from me? If you want to hear me say that
> I did not read documentation, you are not going to get it! I read A WHOLE
> LOT of friggin documentation!
> If you want me to say that I did not read and comprehend ALL of the
> documentation...OK...here you go...
> I obviously missed or at least misunderstood something.
>
> Can we stop this now?
>
> Tell you what...I quit.
>
> To those of you who helped me....Thank you.

Hi Wes,

Sorry you had a bad time here.

The exim-users list is full of dedicated and very skilled individuals
who are on the list because they want to help others.

Sometimes people on the list get annoyed, if you work in a support role
yourself you will have experienced this yourself.
It is common for many people who post to the list to expect everything
for nothing, they want us to guess what they are trying to achieve,
guess how they are going about doing it, and guess what obfusticated
logs and sections originally said (before they were mangled by the
person posting the question).

I'm not making blanket excuses for the list, just pointing out that
sometimes people post to the list and expect everybody to jump to their
aid straight away, even though they have no intention of doing anything
for themselves and just want somebody else to make everything better
then tuck them into bed and then read them a nice story.

From what I've seen of this thread your not one of those kinds of
people, it looks to me like your trying hard to get this working but
just finding the whole thing unfamiliar and un-intuative.

If we can start again you have a pretty good chance of getting this
working as you want it.
To help yourself getting confused by the two different configuration
methods and documentation I would personally suggest that you either:

1) Use the Debian based configuration system and focus your efforts on
the debian specific documentation and mailing lists.
See the official website, or this page on mine:
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/content/blogcategory/31/46/

2) Use a "conventional" exim configuration (No flames please if the
definition of "conventional" doesn't translate well into other languages
or inadvertently offends other debian users, it isn't meant to). With
the "conventional" exim configuration (that can also be used on a Debian
machine by means of the /etc/exim/exim4.conf facility) you can focus on
the main exim documentation and mailing lists without getting confused
between the two.

If you choose the conventional method I can help you or walk you through
this either on this mailing list or or directly with me off-list using
the configuartion scheme I've documented here:
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/content/blogcategory/28/41/

Please tell us how you get on with this. If you can identify what you
found confusing and can suggest a better way of helping new users in
future then tell us, or better still help others in the same position by
suggesting alternate wording in the documetation or adding an entry to
our wiki which can be found at:
http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/

If you can help other new users whom are in the same place as you are
now then write up an article or howto and I'll post it on my site.

Best regards,
Jason_Meers
--
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk