Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Drav Sloan
To: Peter Bowyer
CC: Exim, Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
Peter Bowyer wrote:
> > So why is this Exims issue?
>
> Because he uses Exim. He's entitled to ask for features in his tool of choice.

Which then ends up in the standard distribution, and inevitably gets misused
or causes issues that give Exim a bad name.

"Did ya hear, I had this Exim mail server which kept on sending emails
over and over to a 5xx error"

> There are already countless ways in which the clueless can make Exim
> non-compliant with a dozen different RFCs.

And this is reason enough to add even more broken anti-standard "features"?

It's just adding fuel to the fire.

> If that were a critierion
> for allowing a feature, there wouldn't be many features. Just because
> there's a red button marked 'push me', the admin doesn't have to push
> it.

But if the button wasn't there then nobody could be tempted to push it.

> > > In this narrow case, he has a valid requirement.
> >
> > I disagree. There is no requirement to break RFC when the problem
> > should be resolved on the "offending" server.
>
> He's operating in a closed domain. His network - his rules. Why
> shouldn't he ask for support to achieve what he wants?

If he want's a non-standard feature, maybe he should hack the server
source, or pay for a developer to do it for him. This, rather than
forcing the exim distributionto lessen it's standing with mornonic
features.

D.