Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Drav Sloan
To: Peter Bowyer
CC: Exim, Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
Peter Bowyer wrote:
> > I couldn't agree more. 5xx errors are _permanent_. Whether you (the
> > admin of a sending MTA) disagrees is totally irrelevant.
>
> Not in Marc's case - he has a specific arrangement with the owner of
> the troublesome MTA. In effect, the destination MTA has moved within
> Marc's admistrative domain, although he's not able to affect its
> configuration.

So why is this Exims issue? The "troublesome MTA" is the fault, and
THAT alone should be remedied. Some fudge for Exim totally goes
against the protocol standards, and is unnecessary given the fact
that it is doing exactly what it is meant to be doing.

> In this narrow case, he has a valid requirement.

I disagree. There is no requirement to break RFC when the problem
should be resolved on the "offending" server.

D.