Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chris Lightfoot
CC: exim-users, Matthias Waffenschmidt, Martin A. Brooks
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Chris Lightfoot wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 10:26:35AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
>     [...]
> > In our case, if our server sends a 550 for an overquota error, we want

> If you're going to start announcing temporary errors as
> permanent,

ALL temporary errors become permanent if they persist for long enough.
That's what timeouts are all about. Messages get bounced when servers
are down for sufficiently long. I don't see why over quota errors are
any different.

People don't have infinite disk space to store undelivered messages for
ever. And anyway, think about it. If I send a message to someone and
their mailbox is over quota, I would like to be told about it in some
reasonable timescale. Not for the mail system to go on trying for years
and years...