Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: exim-users
CC: Matthias Waffenschmidt, Martin A. Brooks
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 11:30:56AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 10:26:35AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> >     [...]
> > > In our case, if our server sends a 550 for an overquota error, we want

> > If you're going to start announcing temporary errors as
> > permanent,
>
> ALL temporary errors become permanent if they persist for long enough.
> That's what timeouts are all about. Messages get bounced when servers
> are down for sufficiently long. I don't see why over quota errors are
> any different.

Of course, but that's up to the sender not the receiver.
Would you announce a ``system is too busy'' or ``disk is
full'' error as 500 just because it had persisted for
longer than a threshold? If not, why is ``over quota'' any
different?

--
``Hi, I'm [name], and I'm calling on behalf of Alliance and Leicester...
I'm sorry, I mean `BarclayCard'.'' (phone call from unknown telemarketer)