Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chris Lightfoot
CC: exim-users, Matthias Waffenschmidt, Martin A. Brooks
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Chris Lightfoot wrote:

> > ALL temporary errors become permanent if they persist for long enough.
> > That's what timeouts are all about. Messages get bounced when servers
> > are down for sufficiently long. I don't see why over quota errors are
> > any different.
>
> Of course, but that's up to the sender not the receiver.

Who is "the sender" when a message passes through several MTAs? Are you
saying that only the originating MTA is allowed to apply timeouts?

> Would you announce a ``system is too busy'' or ``disk is
> full'' error as 500 just because it had persisted for
> longer than a threshold?

Yes. "I have been trying to deliver your message for 5 days, but I cannot
do so. Please return it to the sender. The most recent error I got was
'system is too busy'."

> If not, why is ``over quota'' any different?

It isn't. :-)