Re: [exim] SORBS

Autor: Ian FREISLICH
A: Hill Ruyter
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] SORBS
"Hill Ruyter" wrote:
> Hi
>
> I understand all your points and they are all very valid
> however should it be the case that someone be completely blocked purely on
> the basis of a dynamic IP ?
>
> Certainly mark it as suspect.
> even put it in a spam folder.
> that way the recipient can stick it through your BAYES and learn it as spam
> or ham as required.
>
> I just think it is a little draconian to block purely because of one suspect
> attribute.

I for one would prefer ISPs to outright block direct to port 25 tcp
from their dyanmic pools. You should use your ISPs mail server as
a smart host, but that's likely to be listed in other RBLs because
most ISPs are not responsible nettizens. You can find a reliable,
unlisted relay service, but you shouldn't expect people to accept
what is know as "direct to MX" connections from dynamic IP space.
Things are as they are because of the way that particular avenue
has been exploited. Your IP in a dynamic pool is indistinguishable
from that af a bot net which is the overall majority of dynamic IP
space.

That said, SORBS is perhaps a little, shall we say, over zealous
and wider in their listing than they should be. Anyone (IMHO) that
has an incling of clue would not block outright on any SORBS listing.
Even DUL, which is perhaps the most reliable of Mat's lists.

--
Ian Freislich