Re: [exim] TLS Authentication at gmail failing

Author: Hadron Quark
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS Authentication at gmail failing
W B Hacker <wbh@???> writes:

> Hadron Quark wrote:
>> W B Hacker <wbh@???> writes:
>>
>>> Hadron Quark wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
>> of. I will start again:
>>
>> I want exim4 configured to deliver email using a smarthost. A Gmail
>> smarthost.
>
> You have (once again) skipped all the important stuff. i.e *what sort of mail*
> and *from whom* really matters here BECAUSE:

I posted a line to generate a standard text mail to a
gmail account via a smarthost. How can it be more clear?

> - Everything you have so far posted gives me a 'strong suspicion' that you are
> trying to use Exim, a 'Message Transfer Agent', or MTA, when all you really need
> is a 'Message User Agent', or MUA.

This is getting ridiculous. Where do you get me using it as an MUA come
from. I have said I want it to operate delivering via a smarthost.

I am using it as an MTA. Normally I use (as stated before) smtpmail.el
in gnus as my MUA.

However, I use exim4 to involve procmail for LOCAL mail (e.g
cron jobs sending an email) delivery and I want it to also talk to GMAIL SMTP
server in smarthost mode since I have a dynamic IP and I cant deliver
external mails from a local smtp server (blacklisted IP blocks from my
ISP).

I really don't see how this can be clearer.

> - Having Exim perform MUA-style 'client' functions is possible, but not as easy
> as a few 'box ticks' and filled-in blanks on a userland MUA.

I'm sorry. I dont understand. Did you read the "howto" link I posted?
Again - I followed the following wiki (and read the docs), and the
errors I get I posted in the previous post. Can you decipher them and
tell me what is wrong?

Clearly exim DOES talk to smtp.gmail.com but for some reason
authentication is not being done or recognised. The error messages make
that clear.

http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4

>> This is one of the 3 or 4 main "modes" of exim it would
>> appear so why this should be "extremely complicated" as suggested
>> earlier is a surprise to me.
>>

> It is complicated only because;
>
> You also have to configure for a great many things that it appears you do not
> need and may not use. Ever.

Lets not worry about them. There are sensible defaults. All I want is
smarthost via gmail and local delivery via procmail - the later is
done. The former is not working : the error messages are posted in the

> It is a bit like deciding to build a private freight train to carry a loaf of
> bread home when a simple train *ticket* might be less hassle.

No. I just want exim4 to deliver via a smart host.

> As you haven't studied smtp in general or Exim in particular, you really should
> expect to do a great deal of reading.

I did. Did you read the wiki I posted a link to?

> Not trying to put you off - it is worthwhile learning. But it doesn't come
> without time invested.

Did you read the error messages? Do they mean anything to you?

Even I can tell people to "read the manuals".

Can you help?