Re: [exim] TLS Authentication at gmail failing

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS Authentication at gmail failing
Hadron Quark wrote:
> W B Hacker <wbh@???> writes:
>
>> Hadron Quark wrote:

*snip*

> of. I will start again:
>
> I want exim4 configured to deliver email using a smarthost. A Gmail
> smarthost.

You have (once again) skipped all the important stuff. i.e *what sort of mail*
and *from whom* really matters here BECAUSE:

- Everything you have so far posted gives me a 'strong suspicion' that you are
trying to use Exim, a 'Message Transfer Agent', or MTA, when all you really need
is a 'Message User Agent', or MUA.

- Having Exim perform MUA-style 'client' functions is possible, but not as easy
as a few 'box ticks' and filled-in blanks on a userland MUA.

> This is one of the 3 or 4 main "modes" of exim it would
> appear so why this should be "extremely complicated" as suggested
> earlier is a surprise to me.

It is complicated only because;

You also have to configure for a great many things that it appears you do not
need and may not use. Ever.

It is a bit like deciding to build a private freight train to carry a loaf of
bread home when a simple train *ticket* might be less hassle.

As you haven't studied smtp in general or Exim in particular, you really should
expect to do a great deal of reading.

Not trying to put you off - it is worthwhile learning. But it doesn't come
without time invested.

Bill