Re: [exim] dbm/dbmnz 'write' lookup?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] dbm/dbmnz 'write' lookup?
Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Quoting W B Hacker:
>
>>> FWIW, there's a configurable lock timeout for sqlite (defaults to 5s),
>>> which should be sufficient as long as you are not excessively
>>> updating/inserting, which is unlikely in an MTA.
>> '...as long as..'

Let's stick to the point initially raised.

AS:

'$(lookup{some simple or complex phrase}}'

- can trigger, among other things, a 'read' of a dbm or dbmnz, (or other..)

AND AS:

- specialized tools are provided for each of the many types of lookup (lsearch;,
cdb; dbm; dbmnz; dsearch;.....etc.

What is sought for a lookup 'type' or lookup 'style' equivalent might be of the
form:

'${alter{some simple or complex phrase}}'

WHERE:

'alter' might be either replaced by, or modified with:

'create', 'write', 'append', 'insert', 'reindex' ... or such.

AND/OR the same specialized 'lookup' types we now have for doing *reads* of a
particular storage format might be also be used as selectors of appropriate
style for *writes* to that same format. Given these are not identical, but are
related.

To the extent such a tool used the same db format as Exim itself uses for its
'hints' db, not a great deal of new code should be required for the 'doing' part.

Other formats could be more difficult.

I do not know how easy/hard it would be to provide for the 'invocation' part.

Of equal concern is how one can, with reliable certainty, prevent Exim from
being made to alter files or *db's it should NOT be permitted to alter.
Or at least any more such than it can already with clever transport code...

Happy to entertain a discussion of SQL features off-line - but not in this venue.

Wrong forum.

Wrong thread.

Different usage.

Bill