Re: [exim] dbm/dbmnz 'write' lookup?

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: W B Hacker
CC: 'Exim-users'
Subject: Re: [exim] dbm/dbmnz 'write' lookup?
Quoting W B Hacker:

>> FWIW, there's a configurable lock timeout for sqlite (defaults to 5s),
>> which should be sufficient as long as you are not excessively
>> updating/inserting, which is unlikely in an MTA.
> '...as long as..'

The important word was "excessively". Locking and concurrency is an
issue for most db systems.

> By definition, the OP (and I) are looking for a tool that might be called from
> 'lookup' style constructs, ergo the incidence of writes planned can be *expected
> to be higher* than has been typical for the MTA where they have apparently not

I don't know about the OP's requirements, as he didn't write anything
about them, and I wonder where you know them from. Jim simply asked "Is
it possible to have Exim write to a dbm/dbmnz as part of a string
expansion". The answer is, of course, "yes", as you can do anything
that's technically feasible with some external program. But instead of
hacking together some script, a good alternative is using sqlite (or
could be, that depends on his _requirements_, e.g. some other program
accessing the same database, but he didn't write anything about that).
sqlite is surely not perfect, and has, already by design, some downsides
compared to full blown rdbms, but that has even less to do with the
original question.