Re: [exim] trouble shooting exim on KnoppMyth

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] trouble shooting exim on KnoppMyth
Jay Sprenkle wrote:

> W B Hacker wrote:
>
>>Jay Sprenkle wrote:
>>

>>>Good evening all,
>>>I'm using KnoppMyth to implement a TiVo like system. It uses exim4 for
>>>the MTA and I'm completely unfamiliar with it.
>>>Would anyone be willing to help debug it? I will be happy to give you
>>>credit and post a copy of the result to the KnoppMyth
>>>forum so others don't have to go through this too...
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>If Google is not lying to me about those two terms, you propose implementing an
>>MTA on a set-top-box or TV/Entertainment functional equivalent thereof.
>>

> Correct.
>

>>That at least 'strongly suggests' operating on a dynamic-IP and in any case
>>almost certainly without a PTR record or even *any* DNS entry.
>>

> This is not my setup, but you're probably right in most cases.
>

>>You should not be surprised if at least a few folks - buried in spam from
>>zombies on such facilities already - might consider that 'less than
>>praiseworthy' behaviour.
>>

> The knoppmyth distribution sets it up by default and you can't change
> that default at install time.
> I found that several programs are trying to write mail to it (such as
> cron failures).

Do you have logs? Are there frozen messages in queue? Does the box have
information for a default router - some pointer to a name server or 'search...'?

For the chron jobs, you may need nothing more complex than aliasing 'root' to a
valid off-box address, (or at least local non-root address), as Exim is normally
defaulted to not run as, or deliver to 'root'.

> I would like to accomplish a couple of things:
>
> 1. Tell people how to disable it completely (put together instructions
> to tell it not to accept mail for delivery at all).

It may well be already so defaulted.

>     I'll suggest to the devs at Knoppmyth to make it the standard for
> the next distribution

Check and see if they do not already have an instruction that covers at least
the need for a valid 'alias' entry.