Re: [exim] trouble shooting exim on KnoppMyth

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] trouble shooting exim on KnoppMyth
On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 09:27:00AM +0800, W B Hacker said:
> Jay Sprenkle wrote:
>
> > Good evening all, I'm using KnoppMyth to implement a TiVo like
> > system. It uses exim4 for the MTA and I'm completely unfamiliar with
> > it. Would anyone be willing to help debug it? I will be happy to
> > give you credit and post a copy of the result to the KnoppMyth forum
> > so others don't have to go through this too...
>
> If Google is not lying to me about those two terms, you propose
> implementing an MTA on a set-top-box or TV/Entertainment functional
> equivalent thereof.
>
> That at least 'strongly suggests' operating on a dynamic-IP and in any
> case almost certainly without a PTR record or even *any* DNS entry.
>
> You should not be surprised if at least a few folks - buried in spam
> from zombies on such facilities already - might consider that 'less
> than praiseworthy' behaviour.

Bill,

Take a moment and read what the poor guy has written: he has said
nothing about running an internet facing MTA. What it 'strongly
suggests' to me is that he'd like to get his cron and related mail off
of the machine.

Jay: Don't ask the meta question, just ask the question. What are you
trying to do, and what is not working. The best questions come with
relevant config snippets and log lines (or even better, debug output)
but if you're not sure what's relevant yet, outline the problem and
someone will try to help if they have an idea what's going on.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Yow!  I want my nose in lights!         |
|  steve@???             |                                         |