Re: [exim] Proposed change to list moderation handling

Author: Patrick von der Hagen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Proposed change to list moderation handling
Am Dienstag, den 17.10.2006, 02:45 +0100 schrieb John Robinson:
[...]
> That's unfortunate, but ought to be mostly avoidable if you've done a
> spot of filtering on the original incoming message, and the
> auto-response is useful, imo. If necessary the auto-response could
> briefly note the possibility it's backscatter, but disabling it feels
> like giving in to the spammers, something I'm sure we'd all rather
> avoid. Has the problem has now reached such epic proportions that these
> auto-responses are causing more harm than good?

Depends.... try to ask spamcop, for example. Many mailinglists I know
about suffer from spamcop-blacklisting, due to auto-responses. One could
reduce the amount of backscatter, if one chose to activate blacklisting,
but sadly, I'm not allowed to do that....

As far as I know there is only one software to run mailinglists that
actually tries to do something about it itself, while all others
(Listserv, mailman,etc.) rely on the MTA to solve the issue. I'm running
sympa now which allowes to easily configure rules like "allow
subscribers, keep mails scoring 5 with spamassassin for moderation
without sending an auto-response, delete at 10 points and keep all other
messages for moderation and send an auto-response".

--
CU,
Patrick.