Re: [exim] Proposed change to list moderation handling

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: John Robinson, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Proposed change to list moderation handling

--On 17 October 2006 02:45:10 +0100 John Robinson
<john.robinson@???> wrote:

> On 17/10/2006 01:45, Marc Sherman wrote:
>> John Robinson wrote:
>>> I may still be being very dense, of course :-)
>>
>> Yes, you still are. :) Sending _any_ auto-response is a bad thing,
>> because the sender address of the spam (which is the vast majority of
>> posts by unsubscribed addresses) is almost always forged, so that
>> auto-response is backscatter.
>
> That's unfortunate, but ought to be mostly avoidable if you've done a
> spot of filtering on the original incoming message, and the
> auto-response is useful, imo. If necessary the auto-response could
> briefly note the possibility it's backscatter, but disabling it feels
> like giving in to the spammers, something I'm sure we'd all rather
> avoid. Has the problem has now reached such epic proportions that these
> auto-responses are causing more harm than good?

How about 9,000 autoreply messages arriving over the weekend, sticking in
my incoming queue for a user who's mailbox is already full of them. Having
removed them yesterday, there's a couple of hundred more today.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex