Re: [exim] Changing Email Identity

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Changing Email Identity
gascione wrote:

> W B Hacker wrote:
>
>>Magnus Holmgren wrote:
>>

>>>On Wednesday 11 October 2006 20:28, Magnus Holmgren took the opportunity
>>>say:

> headers

> up

> be

>>>Wait a minute ... That won't help. If your commercial mail application
>>>looks
>>>at the headers at all, and get it wrong, it's the line added by the
>>>internal
>>>server you have to get rid of.
>>>
>>>If that's not possible, then I think you have to start messing on the
>>>TCP/IP
>>>level and make it look like the connection from the Exim server actually
>>>comes from the remote host. It's theoretically possible, but ...
>>>

>>Might this serve just as well - and with less risk:
>>
>>1) AFAIK, Exim has, or *can extract* the information that was in the
>>'Received:'
>>header just prior to the one it normally adds.
>>
>>2) "Received:" headers are ordinarily 'stacked' - latest on top.
>>
>>3) IF THEN Exim is told to save, then construct and add-back an extra
>>'Received:' header that is basically a duplicate of what it had
>>on-arrival, that
>>header can be at the top of the stack.
>>
>>Will that 'satisfy' the next level of servers w/o losing the 'real'
>>traceback info?
>>
>>... and, if so, might that be better than stripping headers?
>>
>>Bill
>>

> That sounds like it will do the trick. I am really not looking to get rid of
> the header information just reorder it.

Exim can re-order the headers it adds, such as X-Headers:.

I do not know if it can re-order the headers it was handed.

BUT - perhaps all you need to do is insure that Exim drops its own 'Received:'
header at the bottom of the pile.

If that will work, then you don't even need to generate the dup.

Bill