Re: [exim] Changing Email Identity

Author: Matthew Newton
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Changing Email Identity
On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 04:30:25AM +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> >>... and, if so, might that be better than stripping headers?

> > That sounds like it will do the trick. I am really not looking to get rid of
> > the header information just reorder it.

> Exim can re-order the headers it adds, such as X-Headers:.
>
> I do not know if it can re-order the headers it was handed.
>
> BUT - perhaps all you need to do is insure that Exim drops its own 'Received:'
> header at the bottom of the pile.
>
> If that will work, then you don't even need to generate the dup.

The default received header text is:

  received_header_text = Received: \
      ${if def:sender_rcvhost {from $sender_rcvhost\n\t}\
      {${if def:sender_ident {from $sender_ident }}\
      ${if def:sender_helo_name {(helo=$sender_helo_name)\n\t}}}}\
      by $primary_hostname \
      ${if def:received_protocol {with $received_protocol}} \
      ${if def:tls_cipher {($tls_cipher)\n\t}}\
      (Exim $version_number)\n\t\
      id $message_id\
      ${if def:received_for {\n\tfor $received_for}}

...why not just change it to

  received_header_text = X-Received: \
      ${if def:sender_rcvhost {from $sender_rcvhost\n\t}\
      {${if def:sender_ident {from $sender_ident }}\
      ... etc

It's not perfect, but an "X-Received" header is (human-wise) just as
readable, and should be skipped by anything looking for a
"Received" header. It's nice and simple, too.

Assuming Exim doesn't care that the header name has changed.

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton <mcn4@???>

UNIX and e-mail Systems Administrator, Network Support Section,
Computer Centre, University of Leicester,
Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom