Re: [exim] request to have dovecot authenticator driver 'of…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] request to have dovecot authenticator driver 'officially' included/supported
Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, OpenMacNews wrote:
>

>>    http://exim.org/exim-html-4.62/doc/html/spec_html/ch36.html

>>a cyrus_sasl authenticator driveer is 'included' in exim core.
>>
>>given that Dovecot has become a very attractive alternative for an
>>increasing number of folks, and there's a patch against exim 4.43 here:
>>
>>    http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/AuthenticatedSmtpUsingDovecot

>>that allows use of Dovecot's native sasl implementation as an
>>authenticator, and that is _seems_ to apply against 4.63 ok, might it
>>be possible to get this integrated into exim core, and have it become
>>'official'?
>

> I have integrated this patch (it needed a little work - see ChangeLog).
> I have done extremely preliminary testing against Dovecot 1.0_beta8 and
> I think it is OK. The code will be in tonight's snapshot. If anybody who
> is actually running Dovecot would like to do some more serious testing,
> that would be good.
>
> Philip

I have Exim-postgreSQL + Dovecot on several FreeBSD 4.11 & 6.2PR boxes, at least
a couple that can be spared for testing.

*However* - as we presently use an unrelated authentication method, where and at
what, should I look - in an MUA (Moz/T-bird?) as well as Exim - to insure that
I emulate whatever it is that this is intended to be used for?

- List of necessaries?

- Sample authenticator code, anyone?

Bill