Re: [exim] Tag for AOL

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: gascione
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Tag for AOL
On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 07:02:23AM -0700, gascione wrote:

> Hello;
>
> We send all mail outbound from our primary mail servers to Exim outbound
> relays so we can perform some basic tests on the mail and also load balance
> the outbound traffic.
>
> We have a problem with AOL. We have established their required feedback
> loops and get SPAM reports from them. But they always strip out the
> recipient's name from the header so when somebody is on one of our
> customer's legitimate lists and complain anyway we cannot tell who it is so
> we can remove them from the list. AOL won't help and tells us to make it
> stop but we will not tell you who is complaianing.
>
> I want to put a tag in the header of all email on the way out. Something
> like: X-SNDRCP: sender@???@domain.com
>
> That tag will later help us identify who should be removed from what list.
> Where should this go and what would the syntax be. Is this in the ACL
> section, routers? And what would it look like.

what do you intend to do when the message has >1 recipient
within AOL (such that it might be delivered with several
RCPT TO statements in a single transaction)? If you put
all the addressees in the headers in plaintext, this could
reveal Bcc: information which would not usually be
available to the recipients -- it would be better to
encrypt the data with some secret known only to you if you
do put it in the header. Alternatively you could ensure
that each delivery is made in a separate SMTP transaction
(e.g. with max_rcpt = 1 in the transport), in which case
the simpler approach would work. Either way, you could add
the header with a warn statement in an ACL or headers_add
in a router or transport.

--
``I can't find the [Latin] translation for `responsibility',
which might explain a lot of Roman history....'' (Gareth Wilson)