Re: [exim] request to have dovecot authenticator driver 'of…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] request to have dovecot authenticator driver 'officially' included/supported
On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, W B Hacker wrote:

> *However* - as we presently use an unrelated authentication method, where and at
> what, should I look - in an MUA (Moz/T-bird?) as well as Exim - to insure that
> I emulate whatever it is that this is intended to be used for?

The dovecot authenticator in Exim, rather like the cyrus-sasl
authenticator, is really nothing more than a "middleman" between the
client and the dovecot authentication daemon. Instead of Exim doing any
authentication work, it passes on the client's input to Dovecot, and
passes back the prompts (if any) to the client. Thus, it supports any
authentication method that Dovecot supports (well, strictly, is
configured to support). As this is a server authenticator only, there is
no impact on clients. They just authenticate as they always did.

> - List of necessaries?

Running Dovecot, configured to authenticate somehow and with an external
interface socket set up.

> - Sample authenticator code, anyone?

Here is what is in NewStuff, now that I've corrected it :-)

     dovecot_plain:
       driver = dovecot
       public_name = PLAIN
       server_name = /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
       server_setid = $auth1

     dovecot_ntlm:
       driver = dovecot
       public_name = NTLM