Re: [exim] request to have dovecot authenticator driver 'of…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] request to have dovecot authenticator driver 'officially' included/supported
Philip Hazel wrote:

> passes back the prompts (if any) to the client. Thus, it supports any
> authentication method that Dovecot supports (well, strictly, is
> configured to support). As this is a server authenticator only, there is
> no impact on clients. They just authenticate as they always did.

Ouch. Save one we dreamed up ourselves...

We have to be the worst-possible case to test this then...

Our standard setup doesn't begin to resemble conventional authentication at the
server side, and is intended, among other things, to NOT work with any of the
'native' Microsoft MUA.

*snip*

>        server_setid = $auth1

We would need (at least) two separate variables for the challenge-response process.

Our passwords and UID's do not resemble <user>@<domain>

- and are neither the same, nor even the same *format*, for IMAP/POP, smtp, and
Webmail.

>      dovecot_ntlm:

And there isn't a WinBox in the area...

Corporate 'global traveler' environment.... :-(

Must leave this to the 'mainstream' folks, then. A ground-up reinstall over ssh
is just not on for tonight.

Waddling back to my lair.....

Bill