Re: [exim] request to have dovecot authenticator driver 'of…

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] request to have dovecot authenticator driver 'officially' included/supported
Quoting W B Hacker:

>>        server_setid = $auth1
> We would need (at least) two separate variables for the challenge-response process.

> Our passwords and UID's do not resemble <user>@<domain>

Fine, that would make a lousy password anyway :)

> - and are neither the same, nor even the same *format*, for IMAP/POP, smtp, and
> Webmail.

Uh? The strangeness of your setup is well known (I shudderly remember
the SSL-on-port-587 thing...), but it keeps beating itself...
I cannot think of single reason why somebody would do that (apart from
keeping the IT support people busy and making oneself indispensable, but
I'd would never think something like that about you, of course :)

An (expanded) option for sending arbitrary user-ids could be added, but
as I said, why bother...

I tested the old patch a while ago and it worked fine, but I didn't want
to make exim depend too much on dovecot, as it was in a beta state and
the auth daemon could not be run as a separate process (AFAIR), which
should be done IMO if used by multiple programms.