Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> Your comments made me think... mabye we should limit the names to
> acl_[cm][_0-9]..., to keep the variable namespace poisoning low.
> Blocking variables with names like $acl_check_fancy or
> $acl_multiple_fails is drastic (even though they are only names).
> acl_msomething and acl_canythin aren't nice to read, anyway, and more
> error prone. The scope identifier (c/m) should be cleary separated from
> the name.

I thought about that, but not enough. We could restrict the names so
that the first character after c or m must be a digit or an underscore,
and thereby retain compatibility. I think perhaps I should do this. Do
you agree? I can probably get it done this afternoon, so it will make
tonight's snapshot before people start using the existing code.