Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables
Quoting Philip Hazel:

> Nice patch, Jakob! I found only a few things that I felt needed to be

Thanks.

> 1. There was one bug. :-( But only one. :-) This line:
>
>      return ((node == NULL && !strict_acl_vars) ? US"": node->data.ptr);

>    fails when NODE==NULL and strict_acl_vars is true.

ah, stupid braino... thought of node->data.ptr being NULL when nothing
is found, but node itself is NULL then, of course.

> 2. Most of the changes I made were to update comments in the area of the

Your comments made me think... mabye we should limit the names to
acl_[cm][_0-9]..., to keep the variable namespace poisoning low.
Blocking variables with names like $acl_check_fancy or
$acl_multiple_fails is drastic (even though they are only names).
acl_msomething and acl_canythin aren't nice to read, anyway, and more
error prone. The scope identifier (c/m) should be cleary separated from
the name.

> 3. You obviously didn't try to compile eximon with the patch on, because
>    it failed (eximon reads the spool -H file using some of the main Exim

You got me... I have no X on my servers, so I never used it...

> That's all. Some testing of this new feature would be useful. Since
> several people were in favour of this feature, I hope you'll try it
> out.

Sure I will :)