Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] patch for named acl variables
Quoting Philip Hazel:

>> Your comments made me think... mabye we should limit the names to
>> acl_[cm][_0-9]..., to keep the variable namespace poisoning low.
> I thought about that, but not enough. We could restrict the names so
> that the first character after c or m must be a digit or an underscore,
> and thereby retain compatibility. I think perhaps I should do this. Do
> you agree? I can probably get it done this afternoon, so it will make
> tonight's snapshot before people start using the existing code.

Yes, that's what I meant, and I'm absolutely in favour of the limit.
could save us some grief in the future.
Would be nice if you could do it, I have no time to make the change and
test it until tonight or probably even tomorrow.

The change should be small, something like this around line 819 (based
on my original patch) should do:

if (s[5] != '_' && !isdigit(s[5])
goto BAD_ACL_VAR;

and added conditions in expand.c:1239.

We could also check in spool_in.c, but that would be a little paranoid.