Re: [exim] finding sender for user@

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] finding sender for user@
Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Awfully sorry to bother, but I am trying to find out what process or
> other software may be sending mail to root@

Not entirely an Exim issue.

FreeBSD has as default (at least) 2 chron'ed reports each day, week, month.

Scripts are in ~/etc/periodic/< daily | weekly| monthly >

> I have the following in the log:
>
> 2006-09-06 03:01:42 +0200 1GKlnS-0000Hv-AV <= root@???
> U=root P=local S=2592
>
> Since I am quite new to FreeBSD, I am not sure where to start looking for
> a process that supplies emails to this particular address. I have
>
> 2006-09-06 03:01:42 +0200 1GKlnS-0000Hv-AV User 0 set for local_delivery
> transport is on the fixed_never_users list

Set an alias - preferably to your own off-box address, in ~/etc/aliases:

Ex:

root : admin@???

(presuming that IS 'off box', if not, use one that is.)

> So the emails never get delivered and linger in queue. I would appreciate
> your comments. I haven't really configured any automatical notices,
> haven't touched cron yet so not sure where the emails are coming from.

Chron is it....

> know you can't tell remotely but maybe someone will have a hint for me? I
> am willing to learn :)
>
> Many, many thanks!
>
> Warm regards,

That should do it if Exim is otherwise fully operational.

Bill