Re: [exim] finding sender for user@

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] finding sender for user@
Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> Dear Matthias,
>
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Matthias Waffenschmidt wrote:
>

>>The fix is simply to forward these mails to an existing account,
>>e.g. to admin@??? by adding the following line to
>>/etc/aliases:
>

> Thanks for the fix!
>

>>BTW: The Received line shows that you are using Exim version
>>4.60. This version has been replaced same weeks ago. I strongly
>>recommend to read the FreeBSD documentation about cvsup to keep your
>>installation up to date.
>

> yes, I am fully aware of that and want to upgrade. Curious thing is that I
> refreshed ports before installing exim from portinstall and it got me this
> version. I have already downloaded sources for 4.63 and intend to go from
> there. But I got very much interested in cvsup. Thanks for your point! It
> is so good to have people like you here that help newbies like myself.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Zbyszek

IF/AS/WHEN the FreeBSD ports tree lags the current Exim release, AND you do not
want to wait for it to catch up, you can build directly from the exim.org
release tarball.

If so, I recommend that you follow the instructions Exim has for making and
tailoring a 'local' build configuration file before compiling.

Only a few lines need changed, and it will run OK, even if not - just installs a
few things in different places than FreeBSD port usually does. Still works.

Shout if you need guidance.

Might be better to get started with what you have until the ports tree catches up.

Once configured and tested, all you need to do to upgrade a running instance (of
Exim or anything else - IF you have instaled the port and package management
tools) is:

portupgrade exim-4.60

- it will get the latest port from your ports tree.

then:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh restart

Running child processes will complete what they are doing with the old binary
(in memory already), new listener and children will use the newer binaries.

No pain.

Bill