Re: [exim] Filtering spam bounces

Author: John Hall
To: Alastair Campbell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Filtering spam bounces
On 5/15/06, Alastair Campbell <us@???> wrote:

> Sascha wrote:
> > As already pointed out: It's time to get rid of the catchall.
> > It's bad karma ;)
>
> I'm afraid it's too late, I've used it over the last 5 years, and didn't
> keep track of all the addresses used.

I had the same problem. What I have done is just defer unknown
localparts and check my logs regularly. I've gradually built up a list
of the known localparts and a list of definite bad localparts that get
rejected:

# for addresses in known good list
jdh28_domain_good:
driver = accept
verify_only = true
domains = +local_domains
condition = ${lookup {$local_part} lsearch
{/etc/mail/localparts.good}{yes}{no}}

# for addresses in known bad list
jdh28_domain_bad:
driver = redirect
domains = +local_domains
verify_only = true
allow_fail = true
condition = ${lookup {$local_part} lsearch
{/etc/mail/localparts.bad}{yes}{no}}
data = :fail: unknown user

# For addresses we're unsure of
jdh28_domain_unknown:
driver = redirect
domains = +local_domains
verify_only = true
allow_defer = true
data = :defer: unsure about user - try again later

I have a script that regularly parses the log and checks for
localparts that have been defered and not yet been allowed.

Cheers,
John