Re: [exim] sending mail from outside

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] sending mail from outside
Tony Finch wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2006, W B Hacker wrote:
>
>>I think it would be a Very Good Idea to include not one, but
>>several (three?) default / example submission authenticators,
>

> Is there a third authentication mechanism that is as common as PLAIN and
> LOGIN? Perhaps SPA if you are using Exim in a Windows environment, but I
> would prefer to have a sample working config from someone who uses it for
> real before I put it in the default config.

ACK - like it or not, Win-environment is at least as common as
diptera dirt ... That said, I'm no expert on it...

>>at least one TLS-enabled over port 587.
>

> My example plaintext authenticators require TLS.

I agree fully - show 'best current practice' IOW.

> Port numbers are an
> orthogonal issue, but I also included some comments about message
> submission on alternate ports.

At least a pointer to where ports are set-up, as it is normally
clear at the other end of the config file [1], and some folk may
miss the need to do/check/synchronize the environment.

> Do you have any specific suggestions for my proposed patch?
>
> Tony.

Given TLS, perhaps also pointers also to how to {find the info
to} do certs and point Exim to them.

Otherwise, your Authenticators will be far more appropriate than
mine (all PostgreSQL-driven).

Bill

[1] My authenticators live at the top of the config file instead
of the end - before any smtp-cycle acl's. Just personal
preference for ease of review/edit on new setups.