[exim] Delivery to down smtp server.

Author: Wakko Warner
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Delivery to down smtp server.
I know that sounds strange, but I'm wanting to deliver mail to the server if
the smtp part is down. Both machines are on the same lan and can nfs mount
each other. I have my reasons for having the smtp server down at times.

I want to do this because I have 1 cron job that mails me the status. Exim
is configured on that machine to send all emails to a specific address on
the server.

The question is, can this be done fairly easily. I'd rather not waste time
if it's difficult to do. The answer I'm looking for is either "yes" or
"no", details not required. (If yes, I'll RTFM! =)

Here's what I'm wanting:
Client queues a message when cron job finishes.
Client connects to server via SMTP.
Is SMTP available?
Yes: deliver via smtp
No: deliver to a file (which will be NFS, it is mbox, but I'm not concerned
about locking)
Job is complete.

Only thing that I keep thinking of is retry rules if the smtp server has
been down for an extended amount of time.

Got Gas???