Re: [exim] How to choose between mbox and maildir? was: lock…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to choose between mbox and maildir? was: lock file
Christian Schmidt wrote:

> Hello W,
>
> W B Hacker, 15.04.2006 (d.m.y):
>

>>Exim can not only use either mbox or Maildir (and other storage
>>types), it can be configured to do parallel deiveries to more
>>than one type.
>

> Well, that means that it should be possible to do a
> "step-by-step-migration" from mbox to maildir, doesn't it?

Yes, easily. Exim can create the structure automatically as mail
arrives.

Configuring an IMAP/POP client with similar capability may be
harder during a transition phase.

You may need to run server-side scripts external to Exim, to
pick up and move old messages.

> What I mean is: Mails for existing users a, b and c have get their
> mails delivered to mbox files. When creating new users (x, y and z),
> their mail should be delivered into maildirs.

Your migration plan should be well-thought out.

Exim can support both structures indefinitely.

But do *you* want to do that, or migrate all users?

> How can I make exim (or better: the appendfile transport) decide if a
> mail shall be dropped into an existing mbox file or a maildir?
>
> Regards,
> Christian Schmidt

Keep it simple...

Tranports may be handed data or settings, but should not be
asked to make 'decisions'.

That is best done in the router that selects a transport.

For a '...decide if' or 'pick one' scenario, I would suggest
separate routers that test for the condition you use to
determine what calls of user they are in. That would give you
more flexibility as to storage locations, and simple routers and
transports.

If an 'all hands have both (for now)' scenario, then 'unseen'
between two section of a router could call a second transport -
or not, much in the manner of an archiver.

Bill