Re: [exim] How to choose between mbox and maildir?

Author: Christian Schmidt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to choose between mbox and maildir?
Hello Bill,

W B Hacker, 22.04.2006 (d.m.y):

> Christian Schmidt wrote:
>
> > W B Hacker, 15.04.2006 (d.m.y):
> >

> >>Exim can not only use either mbox or Maildir (and other storage
> >>types), it can be configured to do parallel deiveries to more
> >>than one type.
> >

> > Well, that means that it should be possible to do a
> > "step-by-step-migration" from mbox to maildir, doesn't it?
>
> Yes, easily. Exim can create the structure automatically as mail
> arrives.
>
> Configuring an IMAP/POP client with similar capability may be
> harder during a transition phase.

OK, I didn't think of that.

> You may need to run server-side scripts external to Exim, to
> pick up and move old messages.

Yes, but that would be a "one-step-migration" then...

> > What I mean is: Mails for existing users a, b and c have get their
> > mails delivered to mbox files. When creating new users (x, y and z),
> > their mail should be delivered into maildirs.
> >

> Your migration plan should be well-thought out.
>
> Exim can support both structures indefinitely.
>
> But do *you* want to do that, or migrate all users?

As the configuration of the POP/IMAP server would not be that easy, I
do probably not...

> > How can I make exim (or better: the appendfile transport) decide if a
> > mail shall be dropped into an existing mbox file or a maildir?
>
> Keep it simple...
>
> Tranports may be handed data or settings, but should not be
> asked to make 'decisions'.
>
> That is best done in the router that selects a transport.
>
> For a '...decide if' or 'pick one' scenario, I would suggest
> separate routers that test for the condition you use to
> determine what calls of user they are in. That would give you
> more flexibility as to storage locations, and simple routers and
> transports.

Ah, thanks.
It always occurs to me that one will never stop learning about an
MTA's capabilities and how to use them in the best way. ;-)

> If an 'all hands have both (for now)' scenario, then 'unseen'
> between two section of a router could call a second transport -
> or not, much in the manner of an archiver.

Noted. Thank you!

Regards,
Christian

--
Tapferkeit ist die Fähigkeit, von der eigenen Furcht keine Notiz zu
nehmen.