Re: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse
Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2006-03-31, Steve Hill <steve@???> wrote:
>

>>I think you should be sending your mail via your work's authenticated SMTP
>>relay (and yes, I'm aware they probably don't run one :). This is a
>>requirement anyway if your work published SPF records for the domain.
>

> To do that I'd have to configure my home Exim to route mail
> differently according to the From-address,

Maybe not.

If you weren't running a 'home Exim' at all, but simply had
multiple accounts set up in your MUA, each account would seek to
connect to, authenticate with, and send/receive traffic through
the MSA/MTA (POP & IMAP) that it was meant to use.

Presuming, of course, that your various accounts are served on
ports you can configure to reach.

>> and I'd have to store my
>> shell password unencrypted in exim.conf!

Not ordinarily. Exim can use the hashes of the system password
files.

>>This does of course also mean that you can't register a domain name via a
>>3rd-party registrar and send mail from that domain via your ISP's mail
>>servers (since your ISP has no idea that you own that domain).

Nor wants you transiting mail for it over their MTA with an ID
not controlled by them.

> Isn't this one of the main reasons why a lot people say SPF stinks?

It's more basic than that.

You would be missing a proper fixed IP, proper DNS entries
(rDNS), MX record - and more, etc.

HTH,

Bill