[exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse

Autor: Adam Funk
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse
On 2006-03-31, W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:

>> To do that I'd have to configure my home Exim to route mail
>> differently according to the From-address,

> If you weren't running a 'home Exim' at all, but simply had
> multiple accounts set up in your MUA, each account would seek to
> connect to, authenticate with, and send/receive traffic through
> the MSA/MTA (POP & IMAP) that it was meant to use.

I've also got mail coming from cron jobs, logcheck and scripts, all of
which expect /usr/lib/sendmail to work.

>>> and I'd have to store my
>>> shell password unencrypted in exim.conf!
>
> Not ordinarily. Exim can use the hashes of the system password
> files.

Sounds promising, and I'll look into it.

>>>This does of course also mean that you can't register a domain name via a
>>>3rd-party registrar and send mail from that domain via your ISP's mail
>>>servers (since your ISP has no idea that you own that domain).
>
> Nor wants you transiting mail for it over their MTA with an ID
> not controlled by them.

I've already been forced to pay for an outbound mail service because
of RBL hell and my ISP's irresponsibility for providing outgoing SMTP.