Re: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse
Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2006-03-31, W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:

*trim*

>>If you weren't running a 'home Exim' at all, but simply had
>>multiple accounts set up in your MUA, each account would seek to
>
> I've also got mail coming from cron jobs, logcheck and scripts, all of
> which expect /usr/lib/sendmail to work.

That's just default / legacy / 'serverish' *NIX behavior -
wherein a box expects itself to be in a rackup miles away from
it's master(s).

There are several alternative ways to handle that.

*trim*

>>Nor wants you transiting mail for it over their MTA with an ID
>>not controlled by them.
>

> I've already been forced to pay for an outbound mail service because
> of RBL hell and my ISP's irresponsibility for providing outgoing SMTP.

"RBL hell" is generally *earned* when one sets up an MTA w/o
fixed IP and proper DNS - epsecially PTR records.

Your ISP is acting appropriately and responsibly from the
standpoint of the applicable RFC's, their published Terms of
Service, Acceptable Use policies, etc.

Work with the system instead of against it, and you'll have more
time to spend on things that matter.

Bill