Re: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse

Autor: Peter Bowyer
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse
On 31/03/06, Adam Funk <adam00f@???> wrote:
> On 2006-03-31, Steve Hill <steve@???> wrote:
>
> > I think you should be sending your mail via your work's authenticated SMTP
> > relay (and yes, I'm aware they probably don't run one :). This is a
> > requirement anyway if your work published SPF records for the domain.
>
> To do that I'd have to configure my home Exim to route mail
> differently according to the From-address,

Trivial in Exim - very many 'home users' of Exim do this.

> and I'd have to store my
> shell password unencrypted in exim.conf!

That's one way, but several dozen others don't require that. Better
read the section on authenticators in the docs.

> > This does of course also mean that you can't register a domain name via a
> > 3rd-party registrar and send mail from that domain via your ISP's mail
> > servers (since your ISP has no idea that you own that domain).
>
> Isn't this one of the main reasons why a lot people say SPF stinks?

SPF has disadvantages, but the fact that it encourages good practice
by mail forwarders and relays isn't one of them.

Peter
--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???