Re: [exim] Monitoring sent emails of a user

Author: Jason Meers
To: Sub Zero
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Monitoring sent emails of a user
Sub Zero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My boss today asked me to mirror a newcomers all sent emails to his mailbox.
> How do I do this in exim 4.52?
>
> Awaiting your answers.

Hi all,

I've been looking at this for the past two weeks as I also need to add
an archive solution to my existing exim infrastructure.

I've searched the list archives, read the FAQ, re-read the book and
googled it any now have pages and pages of excerpts from peoples
configs, I am now completely confused.

I've spoke to a few exim experts about this (off list) to try and get an
idea of how they would go about this and still get conflicting information.

Most people seem to be using either a:
- System filter
- Custom router and transport
- Shadow transports

I have seen system filters that check for "first_delivery" to make sure
that the message is only processed once even though system filters only
run once for each message.

I have seen many examples that use the unseen "option" added to
duplicate copies of existing routers to makes things over-complicated by
running each process again for the benefit of archiving.

A few examples advocate that the "shadow" options should be used, others
advise against them saying that the "shadow" options are only
experimental (may have been true in version 3, they look ok to me in
version 4)

Handling errors on messages that were intended to be "unseen" also seems
to be causing some people grief.

I decided to get to the bottom of this and write a exim-archive howto
once I figured it out.

My probably flawed opinion on how this should be done amounts to:

To archive all e-mail in and out - Use a system filter
To archive all outbound - Use an unseen router
To archive all inbound - Use an unseen router
To do this by domain, host or e-mail address - use a filter or specify a
condition to match on top of one of the options above

If any of you can share your opinions or configs on this with me I will
summarise them back to the list for approval first, then write up a
howto to PDF or post on the wiki once we have a broad consensus.

Thanks

Jason Meers