Re: [exim] Monitoring sent emails of a user

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jason Meers
CC: Sub Zero, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Monitoring sent emails of a user
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Jason Meers wrote:

> I have seen system filters that check for "first_delivery" to make sure that
> the message is only processed once even though system filters only run once
> for each message.

That is not correct. The system filter runs once per *delivery attempt*
per message. That is why is *is* correct to check first_delivery if you
want to do something like take a copy of a message.

A "delivery attempt" is when Exim looks at the message and tries to
deliver to all the as yet undelivered recipients. (Technically, it runs
a "delivery process" on the message.)

> Handling errors on messages that were intended to be "unseen" also seems to be
> causing some people grief.

In a filter, you can use "errors_to" to redirect the errors address. You
can also use "noerror" to ignore delivery errors.

> If any of you can share your opinions or configs on this with me I will
> summarise them back to the list for approval first, then write up a howto to
> PDF or post on the wiki once we have a broad consensus.

That is an excellent idea. Thank you.